Market-Women-Worried-Over-Frequent-Fire-Outbreaks

Market Women Worried Over Frequent Fire Outbreaks

Local News

Market-Women-Worried-Over-Frequent-Fire-Outbreaks

Scores of victims at the Dome Market on Thursday expressed worry at the spate at which fire outbreak interrupts their businesses.

They have therefore called on leaders in the country and the Dome-Kwabenya Constituency to do all they can, to bring the perpetrators to book.

The Dome Market was razed down by fire on the January 31 around 1900 hours. The fire destroyed shops and items worth thousands of Ghana Cedis.

Speaking to the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in Accra on Thursday, Madam Rita Opata, a victim, who lost her wares thousands of Ghana cedis in the fire outbreak, noted that, last Wednesday marked exactly three years one month that the same incident occurred in the market.

Though there are speculations that the perpetrators are among them, Madam Opata told the GNA that she could not confirm that.

As at 0800 hours when the GNA visited the market, it observed that, the road in front of the market had been blocked with drivers were being directed to use an alternative road.

Amidst tight security presence, the GNA also observed that activities in the market had come to a halt.

The National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO) officials were also registering and collecting data from the victims for possible governmental intervention.

Mr Seth Osei-Kissi, Ga East NADMO Director, in an interview with the GNA noted that currently about 40 to 50 containers of clothes, wigs, cooking oil, mosquito repellent and plastic have been destroyed.

The Greater Accra Regional Minister Mr. Ishmael Ashitey who led a delegation to the market urged the victims to remain calm and allow the police to do their work adding that the needed assistance would be extended to all the victims.

He also gave the assurance that pragmatic measures would be put in place to prevent further occurrences not only in the Dome market, but in other markets across the country.

Ohene Ofosu-Adjei, Divisional Officer I, In charge of Operations, Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS), said investigations started yesterday and still ongoing to ascertain the main cause of the fire.

He said access to the market was a major obstacle and advised the market authorities to put in place better electrical measures to save the market from future outbreaks, but noted that “, am not attributing the cause of the fire to an electrical problem”.

Madam Janet Mensah, the Ga East Municipal Chief Executive, said traders should work with NADMO, GNFS, the Police and other stakeholders to address the situation.

 

Source: GNA

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *